The Star News

MK Party hits back at SANEF over claims about new spokesperson Sifiso Mahlangu

Sinenhlanhla Masilela|Published
Sifiso Mahlangu has stepped down as editor of 'The Star' newspaper, and he is now the National Spokesperson for the MK Party.

Sifiso Mahlangu has stepped down as editor of 'The Star' newspaper, and he is now the National Spokesperson for the MK Party.

Image: File

The uMkhonto weSizwe Party (MK Party) has accused the South African National Editors’ Forum (SANEF) of making “false” and “reckless” claims about its newly appointed national spokesperson, Sifiso Mahlangu.

This comes after SANEF released a statement saying it was "deeply concerned" over reports that The Star former editor was allegedly involved with the MKP from its inception while occupying one of the most senior positions in journalism.

"As a matter of principle, SANEF strongly condemns any editor or journalist engaging in political activity."

Responding to the statement, the party rejected SANEF’s assertion and insisted that Mahlangu officially joined the organisation after he was appointed by party president Jacob Zuma on Monday, May 18, 2026.

According to the party, Mahlangu had no prior role in the formation or operations of the party before his appointment.

"The MK Party views SANEF’s statement as a serious lapse in judgment by a non-governmental organisation that positions itself as a guardian of journalism ethics. "SANEF is not a regulator, yet it continues to issue public pronouncements that carry institutional weight without consistently applying the basic standards of verification and balance," said the party.

The party also questioned SANEF’s consistency, arguing that it had not raised similar concerns regarding Songezo Zibi, who previously served as editor of Business Day before entering politics as leader of Rise Mzansi.

The party further argued that SANEF had failed to provide Mahlangu with a right of reply before making its allegations public.

The statement also turned attention toward SANEF’s leadership and made reference to the recent developments involving Makhudu Sefara, who has been placed on special leave after he was linked to allegedly misappropriated public funds in projects financed by the National Lotteries Commission (NLC).

Following the allegations, Sefara was placed on special leave as editor of the Sunday Times and also stepped down as SANEF's chairperson pending an investigation.

The Party added that SANEF should focus on issues relating to pay disparities affecting black journalists in the media industry.

"SANEF should also occupy itself with advocating for fair remuneration for black journalists, who continue to raise concerns about inequality in pay, compared to their white counterparts."

Despite the criticism, the party said it remains committed to media freedom and democratic accountability. The party further called on SANEF to retract its claims and apply the same ethical standards to itself that it expects from journalists and editors.

sinenhlanhla.masilela@iol.co.za

IOL News

Get your news on the go, click here to join the IOL News WhatsApp channel.