A stolen Toyota Fortuner was intercepted mid-escape, stranded in the middle of the Limpopo River as police closed in on a suspected cross-border smuggling operation.
The vehicle was retrieved on Tuesday, February 17, after a multidisciplinary team acted on intelligence received earlier and executed a coordinated recovery operation.
Provincial spokesperson Colonel Malesela Ledwaba said intelligence about the vehicle prompted the joint team to mobilise and carry out a coordinated recovery operation. After it was pulled from the Limpopo River, the Toyota Fortuner was circulated and positively identified as having been stolen in Witbank, Mpumalanga, earlier this month.
Ledwaba further revealed that two additional vehicles linked to cross-border smuggling operations were recovered in separate incidents.
“In a related incident, a Nissan Patrol was recovered shortly after it had crossed the border. Preliminary investigations revealed that it had been reported stolen in Brooklyn, Gauteng, earlier in February 2026. A Toyota Quantum abandoned by suspects in Mutale was also recovered. The vehicle had been reported stolen locally and is believed to have been destined for cross-border smuggling.”
He said investigations into the recovered vehicles are ongoing and no arrests have been affected at this stage.
Meanwhile, Limpopo Provincial Commissioner Lieutenant General Thembi Hadebe commended the Niani Cross Border Team for its continued efforts in combating vehicle smuggling.
She said the team, which comprises Business Against Crime and members of the farming community, works closely with the South African Police Service (SAPS), the South African National Defence Force (SANDF), the Border Management Authority (BMA), and Neighbourhood Watch to combat criminal activity along the border.
“The team continues to demonstrate exceptional commitment to safeguarding our borders. Their partnership with SAPS and other law enforcement agencies serves as a powerful force multiplier and contributes significantly to the prevention and disruption of vehicle smuggling syndicates. We remain committed to strengthening these partnerships to ensure that criminals find no safe passage through our borders,” said Hadebe.
The Star
masabata.mkwananzi@inl.co.za